I had picked up 3 Granny Smith apples in the hope of turning it into a chutney that a friend had made.Well,the recipe involved some cooking and since I was feeling too lazy for that, thought I’d make it like raw mango chutney.So,I peeked into the fridge and got out all the stuff that goes into a regular chutney-mint leaves,cilantro,ginger,lemon,green chilies and put them all in the blender with the cored and peeled apples. The resulting Green Apple Chutney which came out of the blender reminded me of the “chaat” taste and so I blended some sugar and a little roasted cumin seeds,and the result was great. The Green Apple Chutney can be eaten with meals,mixed with yogurt and used as a dip, or used as a spread in a sandwich.Here’s what I blended together for the Green Apple Chutney:
Ingredients for Green Apple and Mint Chutney:
- Granny Smith apples/tart cooking apples-2 nos.(peeled,cored and chopped)
- Mint leaves-10 numbers
- Coriander leaves/Cilantro-2 tablespoons
- Green chilly/Serrano-1 no.
- Lemon juice-2 tablespoons
- Jeera/Cumin seeds-1 tsp(roasted)
- Jaggery/Stevia-2 tsp/to taste (optional)
- Salt-to taste
- Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend till you get a fine paste.
- Adjust salt and sugar according to your taste.
- Serve the Green Apple Chutney with sandwiches, as a dip or as a salad dressing.