Handvo is a traditional Gujarati savory cake. It is made with a combinations of lentils, rice and buttermilk and vegetable. It can be steamed or baked. It’s makes a great snack or even breakfast option.
Ingredients for Handvo: Serves 6-8
- Raw Rice: 1 cup
- Urad dal: 1/4 cup
- Tur dal: 1/4 cup
- Channa dal: 1/4 cup
- Lauki/bottle gourd: 1 medium grated (or 3 zucchini) squeeze out excess water
- Yogurt/curd: 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder: 3/4 tsp
- Ginger: 1 ” piece (grated)
- Green chili: 1-2 (or as per heat tolerance)
- Sugar/Stevia: 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing: a big pinch
- Cilantro/corriander leaves: 1 tbsp chopped (for garnish)
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice: 1 tsp
- Eno (fruit salt): 1 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds: 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves: a few (tear it into smaller pieces)
- Asafoetida/hing: a pinch
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Wash the rice and dals/lentils and soak in water for 4-6 hours.
- Drain the water and blend soaked rice, yogurt, lentil, ginger, green chili to a slightly coarse texture with as little water as possible.
- Add turmeric, salt, sugar and asafoetida, blend it again for 2-3 seconds.
- Transfer the blended mix into a bowl and let the mix ferment overnight.
- In the morning, add the bottle gourd/lauki or zucchini, 2 tablespoons of oil, lemon juice to the fermented dal mixture and mix well.
- Add ENO to the mixture and mix again.
- Grease a baking pan and pour the handvo mix into the greased pan. Tap the pan to help spread the mix evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- In the meanwhile prepare tadka (seasoning)-heat a tablespoon of oil in a small wok or small pan, add the mustard seeds. When mustard seeds start popping, tear the curry leaves and add to the sesoning along with the asafoetida/hing. Turn off the stove and put the wok on side and let the tadka cool a little. Then add the sesame seeds to it.
- Pour the seasoning/tadka over the handvo batter.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place the pan on middle oven rack and bake at 350 F (or 180C) for 20mins.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes (top of the handvo should turn a light golden brown) and test with a knife inserted in center of the cake. If it comes out clean, your handvo is ready.
- Let the handvo cool down a bit. Cut into pieces, garnish with cilantro( and serve with chutney.
Here are other Healthy Snack Ideas: