Oats are rich in fibre, protein vitamin B1 and minerals like manganese, phosphorous, copper, selenium and zinc. It is made up of three types of starch mainly rapidly digested, slowly digested and resistant starch of which the resistant starch is important as it does not get digested and is seen to be beneficial to gut health. Oats is shown to be helpful in reducing cholesterol, increasing satiety as well as reducing constipation.
If a bowl of oats porridge isn’t your cup of tea, then try out this Oats Chilla or dosa recipe and you can still get the health benefits of oats.
Ingredients for Oats Dosa/chilla :
- Rolled oats: 1 cup (powder in a mixie/blender)
- Urad dal: 1/4 cup
- Tur Dal: 1/4 cup
- Channa dal: 1/4 cup
- Moong dal: 1/4 cup
- Ginger: 1/2 inch grated
- Red chili powder: 1/4 tsp (add more if you like it spicy)
- Cumin/Jeera seeds: 2 tsp
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves: 4 tbsp (chopped)
- Salt: to taste
- Water: enough to make a smooth pourable batter
- Oil/ghee: for making dosas (you can use a small onion cut into half breadth wise to dip and spread the oil on the tava)
- Wash and soak the dals for 4-5 hours. Then grind it together till you get a fine paste.
- In a big bowl whisk it with all the ingredients, add water and whisk again to make a smooth batter(add more water if the batter is too thick). Keep aside for at least 30 mins.
- Heat a tava, dip a cut onion in the oil and spread over the tava. Check if the tava is hot by sprinkling some water on top of it-if it sizzles, then the tava is ready.
- Take a ladleful of the batter into the centre of the tava and spread using the back of the ladle in circular movements, spreading the batter thinly over tha tava.
- Cover and cook for a few minutes over medium flame.
- Then remove the cover, add some oil to the sides of the dosa and cook till you see the dosa leaving the sides.
- Flip the dosa,add some oil and cook the dosa on the other sides for a few minutes.
- Flip back to the first side and let it cook again for a minute.
- Remove and serve hot with a spicy chutney.