Wondering what ‘ZOODLES’ are?? Zoodles= Zucchini noodles, or in other words noodles made by spiralizing zucchini (using a vegetable spiralizer). The resulting zoodles is a great low-carb substitute for any recipe that calls for noodles, pasta/spaghetti (or even rice)! You can even make zucchini sheets and use them instead of lasagna sheets. If you don’t have a vegetable spiralizer then use your vegetable peeler to make sheets, then cut the sheets into strips.
Zoodles (Zucchini noodles)
This is an easy no-cook recipe. Zoodles are now available in the salad section of the grocery store and you could pick up one if you are running late and don’t know what to cook for dinner. Avocados are great for making sauces because they are naturally thick and creamy. They are loaded with healthy fat (monounsaturated) and research has shown that people who eat avocados have higher levels of beneficial HDL cholesterol than those who do not. Other essential nutrients include fiber, vitamins, folic acid, vitamin E and potassium. Add some protein in the form of cheese (or paneer) and you have a wholesome and filling meal.
To learn more about avocados, read my article that was published in Complete Wellbeing: Why You Should Try Avocados (and how to buy them)
Ingredients for Zoodles in creamy avocado sauce:
- Zucchinis (about 4 pounds): 6 large, spiraled into zoodles
- Grape tomatoes: 8-10 nos. halfed ( or 1 medium tomato cubed)
- Bocconcini: 6-8 nos (substitute: you can add grated cheese at the end )
- For the sauce:
- Avocados :(about 3/4 pound total), peeled and pit removed
- Fresh basil leaves (about 15 medium sized leaves): 1/4 cup packed
- Ground black pepper: 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic: 3 cloves, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil: 2 Tablespoons
- Fresh lemon juice: 1 Tablespoon
- Salt: to taste
- To make the sauce, place all of the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Toss the zoodles, bocconcini, grape tomatoes in the sauce. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
You can also try adding some chili flakes if you want something spicier.