Khaman Dhokla (Steamed Chickpea flour snacks)
Another steamed dish that can be had for breakfast or as a snack-tastes great with some spicy chutney.
Ingredients for Khaman Dhokla:
- Besan (Gramflour/chickpea flour): 2 cups
- Yogurt: 1 cup
- Water: 1 cup
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Ginger+green chili paste: 1/2-1 tsp (as per your heat tolerance)
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
- Fruit salt(eno)/ Soda bicarbonate: 1tsp
- Coriander leaves/cilantro: 2tbsp finely chopped
- Grated coconut: 3tbsp fresh/frozen
- Salt: to taste
For the tempering:
- Mustard seeds: 1tsp
- Sesame seeds: 1 tsp
- Green chili- 1/2 finely chopped (optional)
- Oil: 1 tsp
- Mix the besan well with the yogurt,salt and about a cup of water making sure that there are no lumps.
- Let it ferment for about 1-2 hours.
- Then add the ginger+chili paste, turmeric, lemon juice and mix well.
- Add water to the steamer and let it boil. When it is ready, add the fruit salt/soda bicarbonate to the batter and mix well.
- Grease a pan/thali (you could even put the batter into idli moulds) and pour the batter into it.
- Steam for 10-12 minutes.
- Once they are ready-pour the tempering (heat the oil, add the mustard seeds, when it starts to pop, add the sesame seeds, green chili(optional) over the dhokla.
- Garnish the dhokla with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Cut and serve with spicy mint and coriander chutney.
Here are other Healthy Snack Ideas:
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries/snack
- Baked Carrot Fries/snack
- Fruit Chaat/ Fruit Salsa
- Crispy Kale Chips
- Fish Cutlets/Patties