Left -over idlis? Tired of eating idlis the next day? Try out something different-Idli Upma and make it healthier by adding some mixed veggies.
This recipe was suggested by my college friend, the ever gorgeous Vidya Suresh. Thank you Vidya!! Love you for all the encouragement-that’s what friends are for. Love you 🙂
Ingredients for Idli Upma (Serves 4):
- Idlis: 10-12 (crumbled)
- Onions: 2 small (chopped fine)
- Tomatoes: 2-3 medium (chopped)
- Green Chilies: 1-2 slit (or as per heat tolerance)
- Ginger: 1″ piece (grated)
- Mixed vegetables: 1 cup (green peas, green beans, carrot,etc)
- Coriander leaves/cilantro: 2tbsp (chopped) for garnish
- Oil: 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Urad dal: 1/2 tsp
- Peanuts/ cashew nut: a few (optional)
- Curry leaves: 8-10
- Salt: to taste
- Heat the oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds and urad dal, when the mustard starts to pop, add the turmeric leaves, curry leaves, peanutsslit green chilies, ginger and onions and stir till the onions become translucent.
- Add the salt, mixed vegetables and stir fry for 5-10 mins.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir fry till they are cooked (add a little water if necessary)
- Once the vegetables are cooked add the crumbled idli and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped cilantro and a dash of lime (optional). This can be served as such or with some chutney or sprinkle it with some peanut chutney powder .