After researching a bit with the different recipes ,I realized that I could try it out in my regular ‘mixed veg upma’ recipe. Here’s how to make quinoa upma:
Ingredients for Quinoa Upma:
- Quinoa: 1 cup
- Mixed vegetables: 2 cups(green beans, peas, carrots)
- Onion-1/2 medium(finely chopped)
- Green chillies-1 or 2(finely chopped)
- Ginger: 1/2″ thinly sliced
- Tomatoes: 1(chopped fine)
- Mustard seeds-1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal(black matpe bean dehusked and split)-1 teaspoon
- Sambar powder-1 teaspoon(optional)
- Water: 2 cups
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Wash the quinoa 2-3 times,drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan,add the mustard seeds and the urad dal. When the mustard seeds start to sputter,add the sliced onions, ginger, salt and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the mixed vegetables,green chillies and stir for 5-6 minutes. Then,add the tomatoes and sambar powder(optional) and stir till the tomatoes are completely cooked.
- Add the quinoa and mix well.Stir for about a minute or two,then add two cups of water,cover and cook on medium heat for about 15-20 mins.
- Serve hot as such or with some chutney or even a raita.