A good way to increase your vegetable intake (or if you are in a hurry and don’t have time to dish out a vegetable sabzi along with the protein) is to be creative and :
- try and add it into dishes that you would normally make without vegetables-for example, instead of plain khichdi, upma, biryani,noodles, pasta-add different vegetables (always keep frozen veggies-saves a lot of time)
- if you have time-grate vegetables and add it to dosa/idli batter, chapathi/roti dough.
- add frozen palak (chopped), methi can also be added to dosa/idli batter, chapathi/roti dough,
- add different vegetables(or frozen mixed vegetables) to your gravies/dals/curries
Here’s a recipe for Radish sambar-remember don’t throw away the leaves of the radish. They are edible and can be used as any other greens or try out this ‘radish leaves sabzi‘.
Mullangi Sambar/ Radish Sambar
Ingredients for Radish Sambar:
- Tur dal: 1/2 cup
- Tomatoes: 3 small
- Radish: 2-3 medium chopped into circles or quartered(keep the leaves for another day or make this Sri Lankan Mallung recipe)
- Onions: 1 medium (cubed)
- Sambar powder: 2-3 tsp (or to taste)
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 1 tsp
- Oil: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1tsp
- Cumin/jeera seeds: 1tsp
- Urad dal: 1 tsp
- Chana dal: 1tsp
- Hing: a pinch
- Curry leaves: a few
- Take 1.5 cups of water and cook the dal, turmeric along with whole tomatoes(do not chop) in a pressure cooker(three whistles).
- In the meanwhile, add the oil into a cooking pot, add the onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the chopped radish and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the pressure drops, open the pressure cooker and take out the whole tomatoes and add to the onions and radish. Mash well.
- Add the salt, sambar powder and mix well.
- Mash the dal well and then add it to the onion, radish and tomato. Add a cup or two of water (less if you like the sambar thick or more if you want it thin)
- Let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Switch off. Get the tempering ready (heat the oil, add mustard,jeera,urad+chana dal-when the mustard pops add the curry leaves and hing and switch off).
- Add the tempering immediately to the sambar and cover the pot and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve with rice, idli,dosa or you can even have it as a spicy soup.