Fish Cutlets/Fish Patties(Indian Style)Category:Indian Dietitian Online,Online Dietician India,Recipes-Healthy Appetizer,Recipes-Snacks/Dips
Here’s one more reason to increase your “oily” fish intake-the omega-3-fatty acids found in fish have shown to halt and slow down the age-related macular degeneration (AMD), in lay-man’s terms: AMD basically is a medical condition which is mostly seen in older adults and results in the loss of vision in the center of the visual field.
The research and findings conducted by Dr Elaine Chong at the University of Melbourne,Australia, involved 90,000 participants and showed that a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids could cut the risk of developing AMD by 38%.
Experts suggest eating oily fish like salmons,mackerel,tuna,shellfish and herring about twice a week to get the benefits of omega-3!
- BBC News: Oily Fish Can Halt Eye Disease
- Telegraph: Diet rich in oilyfish can cut risk of developing eye disease.
Now a simple and tasty way of including fish into your diet: fish cakes or “cutlets” as they are called in India. This is my mom’s method of making cutlets.
Mom would first steam mackerel,then take out the bones and mix it with mashed potatoes and coat them in rava/ semolina instead of using bread crumbs. Rava absorbs much less oil and tastes equally nice. I used canned tuna,but it tastes great with just about any fish you fancy.
Ingredients for Fish Cutlets:
- Tuna: 1 can (5 oz)
- Potatoes: 1 medium size (boiled)
- Onions: 1/2 (finely chopped)
- Cilantro: 2-3 tablespoons (finely chopped)
- Giner+garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
- Green chillies: 1-2 (finely chopped)
- Rava/Semolina: to coat the cutlets
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: for shallow frying
- In a bowl coarsely mash the potatoes.
- Drain the water from the tuna and add the tuna,chopped onions,cilantro,chillies,ginger +garlic paste and salt to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Shape into cutlets and shallow fry till the cutlets turn golden brown.
- Serve hot with chutney or tomato sauce.
Here are other Healthy Snack Ideas:
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries/snack
- Baked Carrot Fries/snack
- Fruit Chaat/ Fruit Salsa
- Khaman Dhokla
- Crispy Kale Chips