This is a favorite breakfast/snack item at home. I first made sweet banana dosa/crepes when I had a few over ripe bananas and wanted to try something other than the banana raita. This is similar to the popular Mangalorean recipe of “Southekai dosa” or ‘Sweet Cucumber dosa’. Years ago I had experimented replacing the cucumber with mango puree and the resulting ‘Sweet Mango Dosa‘ too had turned out really well.
Here are the ingredients for the Sweet Banana crepes:
Ingredients for Sweet Banana Dosa:(Serves 4)
- Dosa Rice: 1 cup
- Ripe Bananas: 2 nos.
- Beaten rice/poha/ avalakki: 1 cup
- Grated coconut: 3-4 tbsp
- Jaggery: 3/4th cup
- Low-fat Yogurt/curd: 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder: a pinch
- Salt: 1/4tsp
- Soak the rice and methi seeds for at least 3-4 hours.
- Just before grinding the batter, wash the poha and leave aside for 10-15 mins.
- Grind all the ingredients (except the cardamom) together with enough water to make a fine batter (test the batter for sweetness).
- Leave aside for 1/2-1 hour.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick pan and pour a ladle full of the batter onto it. Spread it out in a circular motion to make a dosa/ crepe.
- Let it cook for a couple of minutes, then add a little oil to the edges.
- Flip the dosa over and let it cook till done.
- Serve the sweet banana dosa/ crepes hot off the pan and watch them vanish.
The sweet banana dosa can be eaten as such without any side or dipping sauce.
Note: Store any left over batter in the refrigerator.
Indian Dietitian Online