Beetroot Leaves DalCategory:Indian Dietitian Online
Do you throw out the Beetroot leaves? STOP!!!
Don’t just cut off the green leafy tops and toss them away! The leaves and the stems are edible, and make a great substitute for any green such as palak, swiss chard, collard greens, bok choy. They can be added to dals/sambars, soups or added to sabzis.
The best part of buying beetroot with the leaves-you can make two dishes for the price of one!! Other leaves that are edible and should not be thrown out:
- Radish leaves: Click here for Radish sabzi with leaves
- Turnip Leaves: Click here for Turnip leaves sabzi(Sri Lankan style)
Here is a simple dal with the beetroot leaves. (Note:The stems (like the beetroot) have a natural pink dye that can turn the dal slightly pink).
Ingredients for Beetroot leaves dal: Serves 4-5
- 1 cup toor dal/arhar dal,
- 2.5 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons oil/ ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1-2 green chili, slit
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 -1 tsp red chili powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder (optional)
- salt, to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon lemon juice
To a pressure cooker add the washed toor dal, add 2.5 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. Cook at high flame for 3 whistles. Let the pressure of the cooker come off on it’s own. Then mash well.
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Wait till cumin seeds crackle and mustard seeds start popping out.
Once the seeds start popping, add chopped garlic and green chili. Saute for a minute or till garlic just starts turning golden brown in color.
Add chopped tomatoes, salt and cook for 5 minutes.
Add chopped beetroot leaves and mix. Cook for 2-3 minutes or till the leaves are wilted.
Add the mashed dal to the pan, a cup of water , the red chili powder and coriander powder (both optional, but I like to have the extra spice)and let it all come to a boil. Lower the heat, add more water if needed and let the dal simmer for 5 minutes.
Check the salt and adjust to taste. Sprinkle garam on top and remove pan from heat.
Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and serve beetroot leaves dal with any hot rotis or steamed rice.
Other Beetroot recipes:
- Beetroot Mocktail/ Juice: Click for recipe here
- Beetroot Upkari(a simple Mangalorean style stir-fry): Click for recipe here
- Beetroot and Carrot Salad: Click here for recipe
Leave a Reply