Beetroot Upkari (a simple Mangalorean style stir-fry)Category:Indian Dietitian Online
Though beetroot is loaded with vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins, iron, magnesium and potassium, it isn’t a popular vegetable and somehow doesn’t get onto the diet more often. The nutrients they contain fight inflammation, lower your blood pressure, and could also fight cancers.
Since it is naturally sweet, it can be used as a salad by those who don’t like sweet vegetable sabzi.
Here is a simple Mangalorean style stir-fry which tastes great with chapathis and even with rice and dal. My kids love eating it with curd rice as they love to see the colour of the curd rice change from white to pink when they mix the beetroot with it. Do note that beetroot has a naturally occurring dye that can colour your hands/cutting boards while cutting. It will also cause you to have pink stools and urine after consuming it, so don’t be alarmed.
Beetroot Upkari: Serves 4-5
- Beetroot: 3 big
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli- 2-3
- Curry leaves- Few
- Urad dal/ Split Black gram- 1 tsp
- Coconut Oil- 1 tsp
- Salt- To taste
- Sambar powder(optional): 1-2 tsp
- Grated Coconut: 2-3 tbsp for garnish
- Wash and peel the beetroot. Then chop it into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds. Once it starts popping, green chilli, curry leaves and urad dal. Fry for a minute.
- Add in the chopped beetroot and mix well. Add the salt and water, sambhar powder(for a variation, though not added to regular upkari), close and cook for 15-20 minutes on a medium flame.
- Once cooked, add grated coconut as garnish and serve with rice+dal or curd rice or even chapathis.
Other Beetroot Recipes:
- Beetroot Juice: Click here for recipe
Beetroot Juice is a great drink for athletes ,sports persons and for those who exercise regularly as beetroot is loaded with nitrates . Nitrates when consumed are converted to nitric oxide which helps in opening the blood vessels and allows more blood and thereby oxygen to be delivered to the muscles.
Leave a Reply