Capsicum or bell peppers are rich in vitamins A, C, K, niacin and folate along with copper and magnesium. The red bell peppers have more vitamin A and C when compared to the green peppers.
Ingredients for Capsicum Rice:
- Cooked Basmati Rice: 2 Cups
- Capsicums(bell peppers)-2 big cubed or 3 small (you can use coloured too)
- Onions: 1 medium (finely sliced)
- Cashew nuts (or peanuts): a few (optional)
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
- Urad dal: 2 tsp
- Channa dal: 2 tsp
- Coriander Seeds: 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies(adjust spice level according to heat tolerance): 3-4 piece
- Fresh Curry Leaves: 10-12 number
- Roasted Peanuts: 3 tbsp
- Garam Masala powder: 1 tsp
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp (chopped) for garnish (optional)
- Dry roast (no oil) mustard seeds,cumin seeds,urad dal, channa dal, coriander seeds, curry leaves, dry red chillies on medium heat till the rawness disappears and the flavors come out. Switch off and let it cool.
- Once cool, add the roasted peanuts and grind to a make a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a vessel and add the sliced onions and saute till golden brown.
- Then add the sliced capsicums and cashew nuts(or peanuts) and fry them till the capsicum are still crunchy in texture. Add salt to taste and mix.
- Reduce heat and add the the ground masala powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Then add the cooked rice and combine.
- Garnish with the chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with raita.