Cabbage Zunka/ Junka (Cabbage and Besan/Chickpea flour stir-fry)Category:Indian Dietitian Online,Recipes- Side Dish
Zunka/Junka is a common Maharashtrian dish which is also known as pitle/pitla in some places. The basic dish is made with besan/chickpea flour and water with a tempering of onions, ginger and garlic. This simple and quick dish is mostly eaten with bakhri made from either rice or jowar.
Kobiachi(Cabbage) Zunka is a variation of this dish by first adding cabbage and then the rest of the Zunka ingredients.
Ingredients for Cabbage Zunka:
- Cabbage- 2 cups (finely chopped)
- Onion- 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Besan(chickpea flour)- 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Garlic pods: 3-4
- Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
- Hing/Asafoetida: a pinch (optional)
- Chili powder- 1-2 tsp(as per your spice tolerance)
- Garam masala- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves : 3 -4 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Oil- 2-3 tbsp
- Heat oil in a kadai and add the smashed garlic and hing(optional). When it turns slightly brown, add the onions and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Then add turmeric, chili powder, salt and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Add the cabbage and mix well such that the spices coat the cabbage evenly.
- Cover and cook. The cabbage will go soft and release its own juices after about 7-10 minutes.
- Now quickly stir in the besan/chickpea flour and saute gently on medium heat. Make sure there are no lumps of the flour. The besan will absorb the juices and cook.
- Cover and cook on low heat for another 4-5 minutes.
- Now open the cover, check that everything has been cooked well and mixed. The besan should give out a wonderful cooked aroma.
- Garnish with lots of chopped coriander and serve hot with rotis or even hot rice, dal and pickle.
Leave a Reply