Here’s a healthy take on the delicious Koftas-presenting the Healthy Mixed Vegetable Kofta brimming with nutritious vegetables and not deep fried.
Wondering how to make Healthy Mixed Vegetable Koftas? These are a little more time consuming as they are made in an appe pan. What you will need is a special ‘appe pan’ which has 5-7 or more round holes. The batter is poured into these holes and the resulting appe is almost round like a ball. Check out the Healthy Appe recipe if you are interested in making Mixed Vegetable appe (using dosa batter).
Ingredients for making Healthy Mixed Vegetable Koftas:
- For the koftas-
- Finely chopped and blanched mixed vegetables ( French beans, carrots, peas) – 2 cups
- Cauliflower boiled, peeled and mashed – 2 no medium
- Besan- 1 tbsp
- Paneer – Grated 1 cup
- Psyllium husk: to coat
- Green chilies, finely chopped – 2-3 no
- Finely chopped ginger – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- For the gravy-
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Green cardamoms – 5-6 no
- Black peppercorns – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Bottle gourd, cut into cubes and boiled – 100 grams
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves roughly chopped – 1/2 cup
- Mint leaves roughly chopped – 1/2 cup
- Tomato purée – 1/2 cup
- Fresh cream – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Salt: to taste
- To make the gravy, heat oil in a kadai. Add cinnamon, green cardamoms, black peppercorns, cumin seeds and saute for a minute on a low flame.
- Add bottle gourd, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add bhuna masala and mix well. Add roughly mint leaves and mix. Switch off.
- When cool transfer the mixture into a blender and grind into a puree using very little water.
- Transfer the gravy into a bowl and keep aside.
- To make the koftas, mix together mixed vegetables, mashed potatoes, paneer, besan, green chilies, ginger, red chili powder, salt and mix well.
- Coat with psyllium husk.
- Heat an appe pan, add a drop of oil into each . Make equal size balls of the mixture and place into each groove. Cover and let it fry for 1-2 minutes, then turn with a toothpick/fork and cook it on all sides. Once all the koftas are cooked, keep aside.
- Heat a little butter/ghee in a kadai. Add the tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes. Add fresh cream (optional)and mix well. Allow the gravy to come to a boil. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the gravy into a serving dish, add the koftas, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice/ roti.
More recipes with the appe pan: