Brown rice Masala Dosa( Savoury Crepes with Potato filling)Category:Indian Dietitian Online
This is a great recipe for those on a Gluten-Free diet.
Ingredients (for the potato filling):
- Potatoes: 4 nos. (boiled and coarsely mashed/cut)
- Green chillies: 1-2 nos. (slit length-wise)
- Onions: 1 large or 2 medium (cut lengthwise-and then cut into half)
- Ginger: 1/2″ piece(chopped fine)
- Turmeric:1/2 teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
For the tempering:
- Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves: 2-3 nos.
- Channa dal/split black chickpeas/Myles: 1 teaspoon
- Cashew nuts: 4-5 nos(chopped)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan,then add the mustard, cumin and the channa dal.
- When the mustard starts to sputter,add the curry leaves and the cashew nuts and stir till the cashew nuts are brown.
- Add the ginger and fry till it turns a golden brown.
- Add the slit green chillies,the chopped onions,turmeric powder,salt and saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the coarsely mashed potatoes and mix well. Add 1/2 cup water and cook stirring continuously for 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
Ingredients (for the dosa):
- Brown Rice: 2 cups
- Urad dal/ Split blackmatpe beans: 1 cup
- Cooked rice: 1 cup (or 1 cup flattened rice/poha)
- Fenugreek seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
- Wash, then soak the raw rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water for at least 4-6 hours.
- Drain the water used for soaking.Add the cooked rice (if using flattened rice-wash,drain and let it stand for at least 10-15 mins), and about a cup of water and grind to a fine paste (should be as thick as the pancake batter).
- Let it ferment overnight (or for 10-12 hours) in a big bowl(the batter will rise if the weather is warm enough).
- Once it has fermented,add salt and mix. Then pour a ladleful of the batter onto a HOT pan and spread the batter with the ladle in a circular motion(going from the centre of the pan to the outside).
- Add a little ghee/butter/oil to the edges of the dosa and let it cook till you notice it getting golden brown from underneath.
- At this stage, place the yellow potato filling at the centre of the dosa and fold from both sides (like a wrap) or you could also fold it from three sides(the resulting dosa would looks like a triangle).
- Remove from the pan.Serve hot with a little cilantro chutney and sambar .
- Warm weather is crucial for the batter to ferment.
- The pan needs to be really HOT before you start making the dosas.
- The dosas can be made without the potato filling too- then it would be known as ‘Plain Dosa’ (not as much fun as eating the ‘masala’ variety).