Indian Spicy Broccoli Stir-Fry (Masaledar Broccoli Sabzi)
Category : Indian Dietitian Online
Broccoli belongs to the same cruciferous family like cabbage,kale, cauliflower,collards and Brussels sprouts. It is a low calorie vegetable and is loaded with fibre, vitamins A, C folic acid and is also known for it’s anti-inflammatory properties. It must be noted that eating raw broccoli has actually more benefits than eating these in the cooked form as some of the antioxidants and vitamin C are destroyed by heat.
Ingredients for Spicy Broccoli Stir-fry (Serves 4):
- Broccoli: 2 medium heads (wash, cut into bite sized florets
- Garlic: 5-6 cloved (minced)
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1-2 tsp (adjust according to heat tolerance)
- Coriander powder: 2 tbsp
- Jeera powder: 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies(optional): 1-2 slit
- Salt to taste
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Add a little salt and steam the broccoli florets for 2-3 minutes (the broccoli should be crunchy and not soggy). Keep aside (alternatively, you could add the broccoli florets to boiling salt water and cover and keep for 4-5 minutes. Then drain and keep aside).
- Heat the oil in a kadai, add the minced garlic and green chilies(optional)fry for a minute.
- Reduce the flame to medium heat and add the spice powders (turneric, coriander, jeera, garam masala) and quickly mix in the oil (otherwise the spices will burn).
- Quickly add the steamed broccoli and mix well such that the spices coat the broccoli.
- Check for salt(add more if necessary). Stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
- Serve as a side with rice and dal.
Other broccoli recipes to try out: Broccoli Paratha (Broccoli Stuffed Indian flatbread)