Egg Fried Rice is a quick and easy rice dish which is best made with leftover cold rice. It is a basic yet simple dish for those who want to try their hand at Chinese cooking. You can add some diced vegetables like carrots, peas and bell peppers if you want.
Ingredients for Egg Fried Rice:
- Eggs (preferably Free-range): 4
- Cooked rice : 4 (cups cooled)
- Carrots, peas: 1/2 cup diced (optional)
- Red onion: 1 medium (finely diced)
- Ginger: 1 tsp diced
- Garlic: 1 tsp diced
- Coriander (stem): 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Light Soy sauce: 2 tbsp
- Spring onions: ⅔ cup (finely sliced)
- Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp for garnish
- Salt: to taste
- Sesame oil: ¼ tsp
- Oil: 4 tbsp
1. Break eggs into a bowl and beat lightly. Heat half the oil in a kadai/wok . Pour the beaten eggs into the kadai and leave to cook for 10 seconds before lightly scrambling until almost cooked through. Keep aside.
2. Heat remaining oil in the same kadai and stir fry onion, ginger, garlic, and coriander stems along with the diced vegetables(optional) for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are almost cooked.
3. Add rice to the kadai with spring onions, soy sauce, salt, sesame oil and the cooked egg and stir fry for 3 minutes or until well combined and rice is heated through. Break up the egg into smaller pieces if needed while cooking. Transfer rice to a bowl and serve garnished with coriander.
If you like it spicy, then you can serve it with a side of red chili in soy sauce ( finely slice fresh/dried red chilies with three tablespoons light soy).