Category:Healthy Indian Recipes,Indian Dietitian Online,Recipes- Side Dish
Kala channa/ kadale rasam doesn’t actually have any kala channa but is made from the water left over from boiling the kala channa/ brown kadle. When using the channa for a dry sabzi like Manoli kadle or usali, instead of throwing the water, you can make another dish out of it. Moreover, making dal/sambar as the gravy dish will make the meal too heavy with too much protein. The kala channa/ kadle rasam then becomes the perfect side dish for the meal.
Ingredients for Kadale rasam:
- Kala channa/kadle water: left over water after pressure cooking
- Tomatoes:2-3 (pureed)
- Garlic: 3-4 (skinned and smashed)
- Rasam powder:2- 3tsp (according to taste)
- Turmeric: 1/4tsp
- Green chillies:1-2 slit in half
- Cilantro/coriander leaves- finely chopped
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard seeds: 1tsp
- Cumin/jeers seeds: 1tsp
- Urad dal: 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves: 8-10
- Hing/asafoetida:a pinch
- Oil: 1tsp
- Heat the oil in a pan, then add the mustard seeds,cumin and urad dal.
- When the mustard seeds start to pop, add the hing, curry leaves, turmeric and the slit green chillies and smashed garlic and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato puree, the rasam powder and salt and stir or 5-6 minutes.
- Add the kala channa water , salt and mix well.
- Let it boil, then let it simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve the kala channa/ kadle rasam with rice and the
Click here for the Kadale Manoli recipe