Baingan Bharta/ Brinjal Bharta (Roasted Eggplant Curry)Category:Healthy Indian Recipes,Indian Dietitian Online,Lunch Box Recipes Healthy Indian,Recipes- Side Dish
For the Baingan bharta, the brinjal is usually first roasted whole over a fire (since we have an electric cooktop here, I had to bake it) . Once roasted,the brinjal pulp is then cooked with chopped onions,tomatoes and garnished with chopped cilantro. The Brinjal bharta goes well with ‘phulkas/roti’ or with steamed rice and dal.Here are the ingredients for Brinjal Bharta:
Ingredients for Baingan Bharta:
- Eggplant/brinjal: 1 big
- Onion: 2 medium, finely chopped
- Tomatoes: 2 small ,diced
- Green chillies: 1-2,slit lengthwise
- Ginger: 1 tsp, finely chopped
- Garlic: 4-5, finely chopped
- Garam masala: 1tsp
- Cilantro/coriander leaves: 5 tbsp, finely chopped
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 1tsp
- Spread a little oil over the skin of the eggplant/brinjal and roast over an open flame till it gets cooked(or you could bake it in the oven for 20-30mins).
- After it cools a bit, remove the skin (the oil applied on the skin makes it easy) and coarsely chop the eggplant pulp. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan,then add the chopped ginger and garlic. Let it fry for about a minute,then add the chopped onions and salt.
- Saute till the onions become translucent, then add the slit green chillies, diced tomatoes and garam masala powder. Stir for about 5-6 minutes till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add the pulp of the brinjal and cook for another 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Garnish the brinjal bharta with chopped cilantro and serve hot with phulkas.
Leave a Reply