Mushroom MasalaCategory:Indian Diet Chart,Indian Dietitian Online,Online Dietician India,Uncategorized
Most Indians who eat mushrooms are only familiar with the button mushroom, but there are lots of different edible mushrooms. Button mushroom is an excellent low-calorie food, especially for those looking to lose weight and also diabetics. It is rich in protein, enzymes, B vitamins (especially niacin), and vitamin D2.
For more information on mushrooms, read my article which was published in the Complete Wellbeing magazine: Go Mushy over Mushrooms!
Ingredients for Mushroom Masala: Serves 4-6
- Button Mushrooms: 250gms chopped (rinse in water, remove dirt gently)
- Onion: 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes: 2 small or 1 big (diced)
- Garlic: 3-4 cloves (grated)
- Ginger: 1/2″ grated
- Jeera/cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1-2 tsp (or as per your heat tolerance)
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
- Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- Jeera/cumin powder: 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves- 2tbsp (chopped) for garnish
- Oil: 2 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Heat the oil in a kadai, add the cumin seeds, turmeric and the onions.
- Stir fry the onions till they become translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger-garlic, salt and the spice powders (red chili, coriander, cumin and garam masala) and saute till the oil leaves the the sides and you get a a nice fried aroma.
- Add the chopped mushroom and mix well. Cook till the mushroom leaves water and is soft (you can add some water if you want more gravy). Switch off.
- Garnish with the chopped cilantro and serve with rice & dal or phulkas.
Leave a Reply