Kadhi(Yogurt curry)Category:Healthy Indian Recipes,Indian Dietitian Online,Recipes- Side Dish
Kadhi is one of our favourite dishes, and something which reminds my hubby of his mother’s cooking(which is a HUGE compliment)! It’s a quick dish and I usually make it on days when I have to cook in a rush. It’s a combination of curd(yogurt) and chikpea/gram flour,which means nutritionally it’s loaded with calcium(yogurt) and protein(gramflour) . The actual Indian recipe has ‘Pakoda’ (a deep fried item made with a combination of gramflour,onions,chillies) but you could however,add the Nucchina Unde/Steamed lentil ball,the recipe was sent to me by my friend Suma. These could be added to the gravy,just before serving.
Kadhi(Yogurt curry):Serves 4
- Curd/Yogurt: 2 cups
- Besan/gram/chickpea flour: 2 tablespoons(make a smooth paste with cold water)
- Ginger+garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Jeera/Cumin seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Methi/fenugreek seeds: 1/4th teaspoon
- Hing/asafoetida: a pinch
- Turmeric: 1/4th teaspoon
- Coriander/Cilantro leaves: 2 tablespoons(finely chopped)
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 1teaspoon
- Water:2-3 cups
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadai/wok.
- Add the mustard,cumin and fenugreek seeds. When the mustard starts to pop,add the turmeric,hing and the ginger+garlic paste.
- Fry for a minute and then add the curd and stir for another minute.
- Add the besan/chickpea paste and 2-3 cups of water,salt and stir.
- Cook till it starts to boil.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice.
Note:I add the pakode( fried chickpea flour batter fritters) or steamed lentil dumplings or sometimes falafel after cooking the kadhi so that it doesn’t break.