Category : Indian Dietitian Online
Oats are a rich source of both soluble and insoluble fibre and this makes it a great food for those trying to lower cholesterol. Besides fibre, oats is also loaded with magnesium, phosphorus, thiamine and zinc. So with such an impressive resume-why is it one of least popular grains especially among Indians?
Blame it on the mushy, gooey texture when cooked with liquids. Also, oats porridge by itself is so bland that you end up adding lots of sugar to make it palatable, thus making an otherwise healthy dish into a totally non-healthy dish. So, what is the solution? How can we use the oh-so-good oats and make a dish that is tasty, palatable and not mushy or gooey?
Here’s the answer: Oats upma Or Oats Pulav (the difference is in what you use for seasoning). For upma add a tadka of mustard seeds, jeera, channa dal, curry leaves while for the pulav add whole spices like cardamom, peppercorns, shahi jeera, cinnamon sticks and ginger+garlic paste.
- Rolled Oats – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 medium
- Green chilli – 1 slit lengthwise
- Ginger- 1 inch piece finely chopped
- Mixed vegetables – 1 cup (mix of carrot, beans, peas, cauliflower)
- Water- 3/4 cup
- Peanuts: a handful
- Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves: 2 tbsp chopped(for garnish)
- Lime juice: 2 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
For the Tempering:
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Channa dal- 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli -1 broken
- Hing- a pinch
- Curry leaves-few
- Dry roast oats for a few minutes, until it becomes slightly hot to touch.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add the rest of the ingredients for tempering and the turmeric.
- Then add finely chopped onions, peanuts, green chili, ginger and saute until onions turn translucent.
- Add all the vegetables,salt and saute for a few more minutes, then add 3/4 cup of water and salt required.
- When the water starts boiling, lower the flame add the roasted oats, cover and cook till done.
- Switch off and garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with a dash of lime. You can also serve chutney with it.
Here are some healthy chutney recipes: