Long Beans Masala (Alasande, karamani, barbati, chawli masala )Category:Indian Diet Chart,Indian Dietitian Online
Long Beans (alsande in Kannada, chawli in marathi , chawli or barbati in hindi, karamani in tamil) are rich in fibre, protein also contain some amounts of iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese, and potassium, which are essential for body metabolism.
The addition of curd increases the calcium and protein content of the dish and also gives a creamy texture to the gravy.
Ingredients for Long beans masala: Serves 4-6
- Long beans /Chawli/Alasande: 250 gms ,break/cut into inch long pieces
- Potato (optional) :1 medium, cubed
- Tomato: 2 medium, chopped
- Yogurt/ Curd: 1/2 cup, beaten
- Ginger: 1 tsp (grated)
- Garlic: 1 tsp (grated or finely chopped)
- Water: 1 cup
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1/3 tsp
- Hing/ Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder: 1 tsp (add more if you like it spicy)
- Coriander powder: 2 tsp
- Garam masala: 1/3 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add asafoetida, turmeric and then add chopped tomato , Grated ginger and garlic.
- Add salt and cook till the tomatoes become soft .
- Now add the beaten yogurt/curd and chili powder,coriander powder, garam masala and stir fry for a minute .
- Add chopped beans and potatoes (optional) and stir for a minute .
- Now add 3/4 cup water ,mix and you can either cover and cook or pressure cook on medium flame for 2- 3 whistles or till cooked well .
- Add more water if you want more gravy.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.