Want to try a different kind of fried rice?? Try out Okra Fried Rice!!
- We first had Okra Fried Rice at a Caribbean inspired party and it was just awesome!Never knew that okra /bhindi could blend so well with rice. The whole dish has a subtle okra flavor and goes well with the jerk chicken (jerk potatoes for the vegetarians) and goat curry.
I didn’t get the actual recipe, but tried it anyway and the result was almost similar to the original. So go ahead and try out this awesome Caribbean style Okra Fried Rice.
Ingredients for Okra Fried Rice:
- Fresh Okra/Ladiesfinger: 250g(finely sliced into thin rings)
- Onions: 1 small (finely minced)
- Garlic: 5 cloves(finely chopped)
- Bell Pepper(optional): 1/2( finely chopped into cubes)
- Cooked rice: 3 cups(cooled brown or basmati)
- Bay leaves: 1-2
- Cloves: 2
- Cinnamon: 1/2 “
- Allspice: 1tsp
- Oil: 1tbsp
- Soy sauce: 1-2 tsp
- Pepper: to taste
- Salt: to taste
1)Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon. Then add the chopped onions and garlic and saute till translucent.
2)Add the bell pepper and saute for 5 mins(optional) and then add the okra rings and fry till it loses the stickiness.
3)Add the soy sauce,allspice,pepper and salt and saute for a couple of minutes.
4)Add the cooked rice(you can add some chicken soup base while cooking the rice for added flavor) and mix well.
5)Serve the Okra Fried Rice with ‘jerk chicken’ or ‘jerk potatoes’, Chicken curry, or any spicy curry.