Category : Indian Dietitian Online
Fish is a high-protein food that provides a range of health benefits. Fatty fish are an excellent dietary source of omega 3. The fish that are rich in Omega 3’s are mackerel, salmon, sardines, prawns and oysters. Omega-3 fatty acids are a vital component of the diet as they can minimize inflammation and keep the body healthy.
Here is a simple and easy Mangalorean fish curry recipe:
- Mackerel/ or any fish: 4-5 (cut into 4 pieces)
- Onion: 1 small (half to be used when grinding paste, half to be chopped and added to the gravy)
- Coconut: 1/2 cup grated (fresh)
- Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera): 1/4 tsp
- Methi seeds(fenugreek seeds): 1/4 tsp
- Dry Bedagi chilies(or any long dry red chilies): 3
- Short red dry chilies: 3
- Green chili: 1-2 slit lengthwise
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Garlic: 12-3 cloves
- Tamarind paste: 1/2- 3/4 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Marinate the fish in a bit of salt and turmeric.
- Lightly roast and grind the red chilies, coriander seeds, cumins seeds, peppercorns, and grind to a paste along with the grated coconut, garlic and half the onion.
- Heat a pot, add the ground spice paste, chopped onion, green chilies, and a cup of water and cook the onion, and green chili.
- Add a little more water if needed, to reach a thick consistency. Add in the fish and cook till done. Add the tamarind paste and more salt, if needed.
- Do not stir the pot with a ladle, but gently swirl the pot to move the contents around.
- Switch off after 5 minutes. Serve hot with parboiled rice.
Check out the recipe to cook Mangalorean Parboiled (red) rice: