A traditional Kerala Fish curry with a nutritional twist- vegetables! This twist is the result of my lack of time (or some may say laziness) in making a separate vegetable dish to go along with this. But I must say it tasted great and got everyone eating the extra vegetables! It’s winter, so I added some frozen winter vegetables to it.
The original Meen (Fish) Molee doesn’t have extra vegetables added to it-so you could omit it if you want the authentic dish. For those looking for one dish with protein+veg, this is ideal.
Ingredients for Fish molee with vegetables:
- Fish fillets- 500gms (cut and marinate in 1 tsp pepper powder, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp turmeric, salt)
- Carrot, Green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach- 1 cup frozen/fresh (omit if you want to make authentic molee)
- Onion – 3 medium (sliced)
- Ginger: 1 tbsp crushed/grated
- Garlic: 1 tbsp crushed
- Green Chilies: 2-3 slit (or as per heat tolerance)
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – 1 medium stick
- Tomato – 3-4 medium (chopped)
- Coconut milk – 1 can
- Water- 2 cups
- Salt- to taste
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Curry leaves- 10-20 numbers
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the cloves, cinnamon stick, grated ginger and garlic and sliced onions.
- In the meanwhile, shallow fry the fish in a little oil. Keep aside.
- When the onions have turned translucent add the coconut milk and a cup of water.
- Stir for 2-3 minutes, then add the tomatoes and another cup of water.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, add the curry leaves, fried fish pieces, salt and let it come to a boil (add more water if it’s too thick)
- Do not stir too much or the fish will break.
- Serve with appam, rice, neer dosa or plain dosa