Soya or Soy is originally from East Asia, but has recently gained popularity all over the world ever since it’s health benefits were discovered. Recently though, it has been getting some negative reports,but I personally feel that soy in moderation is fine.
The protein in soy is complete(equal to meat) and hence is better than other beans and legumes. There are many products that are made from soy,like soy flour,roasted soy nuts,soy milk, tofu,soy nuggets,etc.
This recipe is from Ms.Meghana Ghatpande(my friend Rohini’s mom and Meghana aunty to the rest of us).
Tofu is just like paneer to see and taste, but more nutritious and healthier as it’s a plant product and made by coagulating soy milk. This makes a good side dish with phulkas and can also be used as a filling inside a sandwich/wrap. It’s basically a protein packed dish,and the mustard,cumin and coriander make this dish oh-so Indian!!
Tofu Bhurji(Scrambled Tofu): Serves 4
Ingredients for Tofu Bhurji:
- Firm tofu*: 350 gms, cut into small squares or crumbled
- Onion: 1 medium, finely sliced
- Tomato: 2 big,finely chopped
- Mustard seeds:1/2 teaspoon
- Jeera/Cumin seeds:1/2 teaspoon
- Dhaniya/Coriander seeds powder: 1teaspoon
- Turmeric powder:1/4 teaspoon
- Green chilli: 1 no. (slit length wise)
- Oil:1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves/Cilantro:a handful(finely chopped for the garnish)
- Salt:to taste
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadai/pan.
- Add the mustard and cumin seeds.
- When it starts to crackle and pop,add the sliced onions,salt and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add the turmeric, cumin powder,slit green chilli,tomato pieces and saute till it gets cooked.
- Add the tofu,stir for a couple of minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with phulkas.
*While buying the tofu for this dish,pick up the firm tofu if possible(as the silken/soft tofu are more suited for making dips).