Category : Indian Dietitian Online
Cinnamon tea is a popular drink in Korea and is called ‘SuJeongGwa’. It is usually served on festivals or special occasions. I first tried it years ago at a Korean restaurant and it was served as a cold dessert drink after the meal. It was delicious and we were told it is normally served chilled but can be had hot. It is actually served with sugar, but I have omitted that and used stevia as a sugar substitute.
What makes this drink (without added sugar) a great drink for diabetics and pre-diabetics as well as those looking to lose weight is the cinnamon. Several studies have shown that cinnamon is effective in reducing blood sugar levels as well as the HbA1C levels. Some researchers also found that it could lower the total cholesterol levels.
Ingredients: (makes approx 5 litres)
- Cinnamon Sticks (Ceylon cinnamon): 70g
- Fresh ginger: 100gms , skinned and thinly sliced.
- Water: 22 cups (1 cup=250ml)
- Stevia(a natural sugar substitute)
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Mint leaves (optional)
- In a large saucepan put in 11 cups of water and the ginger, cover and boil it on medium heat for 40 mins.
- At the same time, put the cinnamon sticks into a separate large saucepan. Add 11 cups of water cover and let it boil on medium heat for 40 mins.
- After 40 mins, strain the ginger water and the cinnamon water into one large pot.
- For those who like it hot- pour a cup of the hot tea, add some stevia (you can garnish it with mint or lemon juice if you want).
- Otherwise, chill the batch of Sujeonggwa and serve cold after a meal with some stevia and garnish(optional).
It can be stored in airtight glass containers for about a week.
- Use Ceylon Cinnamon (found in Indian Stores) and not the Cassia Cinnamon found in regular grocery stores (in the US)
- Have it after your meals to aid in controlling sugar levels after meals (post-prandial).
- It is not a substitute for medications/insulin prescribed for diabetes.
- It is not a miracle drink to reduce your sugar levels after feasting and eating sugary snacks.
- Both Cinnamon and ginger are warming spices according to Ayurveda and this drink can also be used when you have a cold. Those prone to mouth ulcers should avoid taking it too often.
- You will see better results if you are on a prescribed diet for your condition and take these after sticking to the diet.
For getting a personalized Online Diet Consultation: Click on -> ONLINE DIET CONSULTATION PACKAGES
Also Check out our Indo-Korean recipe: Kimchi Uttapam