Thai basil is different from the regular basil seen both look wise and flavour-wise. Thai basil has a sharp taste compared to the basil used in Italian cooking.
This is a quick and simple Thai recipe. Those who are regular visitors to this website will know that I try to make every recipe more nutritious especially when I don’t have time to make a separate vegetable dish. So here’s how you can make your favorite Thai Basil Chicken more nutritious- by adding seasonal vegetables and sesame seeds. You can add different vegetables like cabbage, green beans, carrots, broccoli, etc. Or if you have the time, you could make it the authentic way with just the basil leaves and serve stir-fry veggies on the side.
Here’s the recipe for Thai Basil Chicken (with vegetables):
- Chicken (thigh fillet): 250gms (cut into bite size pieces)
- Scallion/shallot stem: 1 ( cut into 2″)
- Mixed vegetables: 1 cup cut (like cabbage, broccoli, carrots, green beans, bell pepper)
- Garlic: 5-6 large cloves (finely chopped)
- Thai chili: 1-2nos. (slit lenthwise)
- Oyster sauce: 1 tbsp
- Light soy sauce: 2 tsp
- Dark soy sauce : 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds: 2 tsp (optional)
- Salt: to taste (optional)
- Oil :2 tbsp
- Thai basil leaves: 1 cup loosely packed