Sattu ka ParanthaCategory:Indian Diet Chart,Indian Dietitian Online
Sattu is a popular food in UP and Bihar and is made from roasted chickpeas which is ground to a flour. But there are many versions- some also have millets like jowar or barley(jau) and peanuts all ground together. The sattu I bought from the Indian store has chickpeas and barley. Sattu is traditionally had as a porridge for breakfast, as parathas or Sattu ka sharbat (both sweet and salty varieties) is taken as a cooling drink during hot summers.
Ingredients for stuffing:
- Sattu : 1 Cup
- Onion: 1 small, finely chopped
- Green chili: 1 no. finely chopped (optional) or red chili powder: 1-2 tsp
- Ginger: 1 tsp grated
- Ajwain seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Pickle masala (any pickle oil and masala): 1 tsp
- Amchur powder: 1-2 tsp or Lemon juice: 2 tsp
- Jaggery: 1 tsp (optional)
- Water: a little to bind the stuffing
- Coriander leaves: 2 tsp finely chopped
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 3 tsp
Ingredients for Paratha:
Wheat Flour: 2 Cups
Water: 1 cup (or as required for kneading the dough)
Oil: 1 tsp
Salt: 1/2 tsp
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the stuffing. Mix well and add a little water to bind the stuffing into a ball (it shouldn’t be too dry or too watery). Divide the stuffing into lemon sized balls.
- For parathas, take wheat flour, add oil and salt. Adding a little water at a time knead to firm consistency. Let it rest for at least 30 mins.
- Knead the dough again, then divide the dough into small lemon sized balls.
- Roll out one a little, place a the sattu stuffing in the center of the rolled out dough.
- Bring the edges together to form a smooth round ball (like a money bag). You can remove any extra dough at the top)
- Dust with dry flour and roll it out .
- Heat a tava, place the paratha on it. Let it cook then flip and cook the other side. Add some oil on the cooked sides. Let it cook evenly on both sides .
- Serve hot with just yogurt/curd, pickle or baingan ka bharta.
Leave a Reply