Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, barley, triticale and in some cases oats. Gluten is commonly blamed for gut symptoms experienced by people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). However, recent research suggests that the carbohydrate component in wheat, rye and barley is more likely to be the cause of the problem (part of a group of foods known as FODMAPS.A gluten-free diet allows bowel healing and symptom improvement in people with coeliac disease.
Tawa vermicelli pulav is a recipe using the rice noodles found in the Asian section of the grocery store and the pav bhaji masala. I prefer using rice vermicelli instead of the more commonly used wheat vermicelli. It’s a tasty and unique dish to take in the lunch box too. The pav bhaji masala gives a very different flavour to the dish.
Rice Vermicelli Tawa Pulav
Ingredients for Rice Vermicelli Tawa Pulav:
- Rice vermicelli: 500g
- Mixed vegetables: 1 cup chopped (green beans, carrots, peas, capsicum, etc)
- Onion: 1 medium(thinly sliced)
- Cashew nuts: 10 nos.
- Ginger garlic paste: 2tsp
- Tomato: 2 big , finely chopped
- Green chilies: 1 slit lengthwise (optional)
- Pav bhaji masala: 3 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder: 1/2-1 tsp (as per heat tolerance)
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Jeera: 1tsp
- Cinnamon: 1″ stick
- Cardamom: 2nos.
- Coriander: 3 tbsp( finely chopped) for garnish
- Lemon juice: 2 tsp
- Oil/ Butter/Ghee: 1 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
Heat oil/butter in a kadai and add the cumin/jeera, cinnamon, cardamom, cashews ,slit chili(optional)
Then add the turmeric powder, sliced onions and the ginger garlic paste. Saute till the onions start turning brown.
- Add, the mixed vegetables and stir fry till the vegetables are almost cooked.
- In the meanwhile, boil some water with a tsp of oil in a saucepan. Once it boils switch off,add the rice noodles/vermicelli(broken into smaller pieces) and let it sit for 2 minutes and then drain and keep aside.
Add the chopped tomatoes ,salt and saute until the tomato turn soft and mushy then add the pav bhaji masala, chili powder.
Saute until the oil is released from the masala paste.
Add the rice noodles/vermicelli and mix well to coat every strand of the vermicelli with the masala.
Squeeze some lime juice, mix well and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve the Rice vermicelli tawa pulav with raita or as is.