Palak Paneer- Creamy, Healthy version (Cottage cheese in Spinach gravy)
Here’s a healthy version of Creamy Palak Paneer:
Ingredients for Palak Paneer (low calorie version):
- Palak: 4 big cups or 250 gms
- Tomatoes: 2 big
- Garlic: 4nos.
- Ginger: 1″piece
- Green chilies: 2-3 (or according to taste)
- Paneer: 250gms (cut into cubes)
- Skim milk: 1 1/2 cups
- Cumin seeds: 1tsp
- Hing(asafoetida): a pinch
- Bay leaf: 1
- Turmeric powder: 1/2tsp (or 1 tsp curry powder)
- Coriander powder: 2tsp
- Red chili powder: 1-2 tsp
- Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 3tsp
- Puree the tomato along with the garlic and ginger.
- Bring some water to boil and then blanch the palak leaves for 3-5 minutes. Take out the leaves and puree when cool.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the bay leaf and cumin seeds, when they start to brown add the hing.
- Then add the tomato puree, garam masala, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric/curry powder and stir fry till you see the oil separating out.
- Then add the palak puree and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes stirring in between.Add salt to taste.
- Lower the flame and add in the milk . Mix well and then cover and cook for about 5mins.
- Add the paneer pieces and mix. Cover and cook for another 5-6 minutes while stirring gently in between.
Serve the creamy palak paneer with phulkas or plain rice and dal.