Moong Dal Payasa (Moong ki kheer- Split Mung pudding in coconut milk)Category:Indian Dietitian Online,Online Dietician India
- Moong Dal: 1 cup
- Jaggery: 1 1/2 cups (you could substitute with sugar,but jaggery gives the actual traditional taste)
- Milk: 1 cup
- Water:1 cup
- Coconut milk: 1 cup
- Salt:1/4th tsp
- Saffron/Cardamom powder: a pinch (soak saffron in a little warm milk)
- Cashews, raisins: a few(fried in a little ghee)
- Ghee: 3tsp
- Roast the moong dal in a teaspoon of ghee till you get a pleasant aroma (do not let it brown).
- Add the milk and the water and bring it to a boil. Then simmer till the moong dal is well cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Once the dal is cooked add the jaggery, the saffron milk/ cardamom powder.
- Add the coconut milk and stir for a minute. Switch off.
- Serve moong dal payasa/kheer hot or a little warm garnished with the fried cahews, raisins and the remaining ghee.
NOTE: Do not add the jaggery/sugar at the beginning or else the dal will not cook (I learnt this the hard way the first time I made this!)
Leave a Reply