Another Gluten free rice pulav recipe. The addition of coconut milk gives a different flavour to the pulav, You can add turmeric if you don’t like the white colour of the pulav-but I don’t add it as it makes the pulav look different.
This can be made in a pressure cooker or even in the rice cooker. I normally fry it in a kadai and then transfer it into the rice cooker and add water and let it steam. I know many who even do the frying of the onions and veggies in the rice cooker itself-but I prefer to do it separately.
Ingredients for Mixed vegetable pulav with coconut milk
- Basmati rice: 1 cup
- Mixed vegetables(Green beans, carrots, peas): 1 cup
- Onion: 1 medium (thinly sliced)
- Ginger-garlic paste: 1 tsp
- Green Chilis: 1-2 (slit length wise)
- Cashew nuts: 10-12nos.
- Jeera: 1 tsp
- Cardamom: 4nos.
- Cinnamon: 1″
- Peppercorns: 8nos.
- Cloves: 4nos.
- Bay leaf: 1 no.
- Coriander leaves: 2-3 tbsp (chopped)
- Coconut milk: 2 cups
- Ghee: 2tbsp
- salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 20 minutes.
In the meanwhile , heat 2 tsp of ghee in a kadai /pressure pan and add the whole spices (cumin seeds, pepper, cinnamon, etc) and saute for a few seconds.Then add the green chilies and cashews.
- Add the sliced onions and saute till the onions start turning golden.
Add the mixed veggies and saute for a 1-2 minutes(if using the rice cooker, then make sure to saute it for a little longer till the veggies are half cooked)) .
Add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
Drain the water from the soaked rice and add it to the kadai and fry for a few minutes (if making in a rice cooker, now would be the step to transfer from the kadai to the rice cooker).
Add the coconut milk, salt to taste add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Pressure cook for one whistle(if using rice cooker, just switch on and it’ll be ready in 15-20mins)
Once the pressure drops, open the lid and gently fluff the pulav.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with a spicy side dish(as this pulav is mostly bland, it’s best served with something spicy)