Mixed Vegetable Pulav/Pilaf (Gluten free, Vegan)Category:Indian Dietitian Online
This is an easy recipe and can be made for the lunch box or even for a party.
Recipe for Mixed Vegetable Pulav:
Ingredients: (Serves 6-8)
- Brown Rice/ Basmati: 2 cups (soak in water for 30 mins)
- Tomatoes: 3 medium (finely chopped)
- Onions: 1 1/2 big or 2 medium sized (finely sliced)
- Garlic: 3-4 (finely chopped)
- Ginger: 1 ” piece (grated)
- Green chilies: 1-4 (depending on your heat tolerance)
- Mixed vegetables: 1 1/2 cups cut into bite sized pieces(carrot,cauliflower, peas, green beans)
- Cinnamon: 2″ stick
- Cloves: 4-5nos.
- Peppercorns: 5-6 nos.
- Bay leaf: 2nos.
- Cardamoms: 4 nos.
- Jeera/Cumin seeds: 2 tsp
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 1/2 tsp (heaped)
- Garam masala: 1/4 tsp
- Oil/ Butter/ Ghee: 3 tbsp
- Water: 4 cups
- Salt: to taste
- Cilantro leaves: 2 tbsp (chopped) for garnishing
- Mint leaves: a few (for garnish)
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the whole spices (cumin, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves, cardamom, peppercorn).
- When the jeera seeds start to sizzle, add the chopped garlic and saute on a low flame till it starts to brown.
- Add turmeric and the onions, salt and saute till the onions start turning pinkish brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till they are completely mashed and oil starts to leave the sides.
- Add the red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Then add the mixed vegetables and mix till the masala coats the vegetables.
- Strain the rice and add it and mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the water, mix and taste the water for salt and flavours.
- close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles. Switch off
- Once the pressure drops open the cooker and garnish with coriander leaves(cilantro) and mint leaves. Slowly fluff the pulav a little.
- Serve the mixed vegetable pulav with raita.
Leave a Reply