Mangoes are one of the most loved fruits. It is rich in the antioxidant zeaxanthin and beta carotene, which is known to filter out harmful blue light rays and is thought to play a role in protecting the eyes and preventing cancer.
Sweets are an integral part of any festival and should be enjoyed occasionally and in moderation. When making/buying sweets for festivals, choose those are not fried and have protein and not just calories.
A peda is traditionally made by reducing milk in an open pan and then adding the required amount of sugar and flavoring. A lot of people use “khoa” which saves a lot of time. I decided to try it with ricotta cheese instead,and it actually turned out quite well!!
Ingredients for Mango Peda: (Makes about 4-6 nos.)
- Ricotta cheese(fat free): 2 cups
- Mango puree: 1 cup
- Sugar: 6 teaspoons (or according to taste)
- Cardamom powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Pistachio slivers/ Canned cherries/strawberries: for decoration
- Heat a non-stick pan and pour the mango puree along with the sugar and cardamom powder and saute till it the puree appears to be cooked.
- Add the ricotta cheese and stir continuously on medium flame till it becomes a thick mouldable mass.
- Allow to cool,then shape into desired shapes and garnish.