Category:Indian Dietitian Online
- Dried shrimp: 50 gm
- Grated coconut: 1 cup
- Dry red chilies: 5-6 nos(or as per spice tolerance)
- Cumin seeds/ jeera: 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind paste: 1/2 -1 tsp
- Onion: 1 small or half medium( finely diced)
- Salt: add at the end to taste as the dried shrimp already has a lot of salt.
- Oil: 1-2 tsp
- Wash the shrimp carefully and squeeze it dry(this removes any sand/dirt and also extra salt).
- Spread it on a paper towel to dry.
- In the meanwhile dry roast the coconut in a tawa till it gives a nice aroma and then keep aside.
- In the same tawa, dry roast the dried prawns for a couple of minutes on a tawa on a slow flame until it is dry.
- Dry grind the red chilies, cumin. Add the roasted coconut, roasted prawn, turmeric, tamarind paste and grind it coarsely( not more than 4-5 seconds to prevent it from becoming a paste). Remove the chutney in a bowl. Taste for salt and add accordingly if needed.
- Heat the oil in another pan and fry the diced onions till golden brown. Add them to the shrimp chutney and mix well.
- Serve as a side to with rice(traditionally red parboiled rice) and curry.
If you want to know how to cook parboiled rice(oorpel ari)-check out the recipe: How to cook parboiled rice.