How To Detox after a Major Festival Or Vacation??
Category : Indian Dietitian Online
HOW TO DETOX AFTER A FESTIVAL OR HOLIDAY ???
Did you manage to eat your whole years’ quota of laddoos, kheer, pedas, puri’s and biryani over the festival season? Feeling guilty about it ?
While there isn’t any way that you can magically erase all the effects of the high calorie foods, you could think about giving your digestive system a rest after the overload it has had to take. Here are a few steps to follow:
1.Drink plenty of water. Chances are that might be feeling bloated or noticing some water retention. This could possibly be due to the fact that you haven’t been hydrating yourself enough. Make it a point to drink at least 2 litres of water. You can also drink some infused water (here is a recipe for Apple-cinnamon infused water), herbal teas, beetroot juice, carrot juice, simple soups or coconut water.
2.Avoid sugar, refined flour(foods made with maida)and highly processed foods like cakes, biscuits, crackers. Instead include whole grains like unpolished rice(or brown / par boiled rice), broken wheat, barley in your diet.
3.Eat plenty of green leafy vegs, fruits and vegetables. They contain a host of antioxidants , vitamins, minerals and fibre that your body didn’t get.
4. Include protein rich foods like sprouts, dals, pulses, eggs.
5. Keep your food simple, avoid rich gravies, greasy or very spicy (masaledar foods).
6. If possible give your digestive system a rest by not eating till dinner. A short fast which would mean just eating one meal (simple dinner) and having plenty of fluids (water, herb teas, black tea,etc) will give your liver time to push out the extra stored glycogen and toxins out.
7. Include curd (yogurt) and buttermilk (chaas) to help balance the bacteria in your gut.
8.Include foods that will help cleanse the liver like garlic, beetroot, carrots (here is the recipe for beetroot & carrot juice), green tea, avocados , green leafy vegetables grapefruit and apples.
9. Exercise. Even if you aren’t into heavy exercise, start going for long walks and try to soak in as much sunlight(vitamin D) as you can.
For those interested in a Personal Diet Consultation by Sweta Uchil-Purohit (Indian Dietitian) check out our Online Diet Consultation packages & prices here- Online Diet Consultation by Indian Dietitian