Ghiya (Lauki) Channa Dal recipe (Bottle Gourd/Doodhi and split Bengal Gram sabzi)
Bottle gourd is a vegetable high in water content and is a good source of vitamin C, K, fibre and calcium. This recipe is great for those who are in a hurry as it has both vegetable and a protein together in one dish.
Ingredients for Lauki Channa dal: Serve 4-6
- Bottle gourd/Lauki: 1 medium (peeled and cut into cubes)
- Tomato: 2 medium chopped (or 1 tsp Amchur)
- Onion: 1 medium sliced
- Split Bengal gram/channa dal: 1/2 cup
- Jeera/Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies: 2-3nos. slit
- Ginger: 1″ piece (grated)
- Asafoetida/hing: a pinch
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1/2-1 tsp
- Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- Oil: 2 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves: 2tbsp (chopped)
- Water: 1 cup
- Wash and soak channa dal for one hour or more.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker. Add the cumin seeds. When seeds start to crack, add the asafoetida, turmeric and sliced onions. Stir till the onions become translucent.
- Add ginger,green chilies and stir for a few seconds. Then add the chopped tomatoes , garam masala, red chili powder and cook till the oil leaves the pan.
- Add the channa dal, bottle gourd, salt, and one cup of water .
- Cook the channa dal for 3-4 whistles . Turn off the heat, let the pressure drop, then open and add the cilantro. Stir and cover the pan for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with hot phukas/roti or rice and a curry.