A protein-packed breakfast (can also be packed for lunch or eaten as a snack) with egg and mixed vegetable. You can make a big batch and freeze them. In the morning just defrost them in the microwave and eat.
I added some spices like cumin powder, turmeric and a pinch of red chili powder. You can play around with different vegetables/spices that you (or your family) like. You can even add some cheese if you like.
Ingredients for Egg and Vegetable muffins: (Makes approx. 12 muffins)
- Eggs: 6 (beaten)
- Spinach: 1/2 cup fresh(chopped fine) or frozen
- Carrots: 1 medium (diced)
- Mushrooms: 1/2 cup (diced)
- Tomatoes: 1 small (diced)
- Onion: 1 small (finely chopped)
- Turmeric: 1/2tsp
- Garlic powder: 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Cumin powder: a pinch (optional)
- Red chili powder: 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 1tsp
- Butter: 1tsp
- Heat oil in a pan, fry the onions, then add the diced carrots (or whatever vegetable you choose), then the spinach, tomatoes and finally the mushrooms.
- Add the spices-turmeric, cumin, red chili powder and garlic powder along with the salt and mix well. Saute till the water from the mushrooms evaporate.
- Switch off and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 175C (350F).
- Once it’s cooled-add the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Grease a muffin tray with the butter and pour the mixture evenly into them.
- Bake for 15-20 mins.
You can add some cheese if you like.
Let them cool and then freeze them in ziplock bags. My kids love to take these for lunch.