Category:Indian Diet Chart,Indian Dietitian Online,Lunch Box Recipes Healthy Indian,Online Dietician India
This is a gravy style bhindi masala with peanuts. The peanuts add a lovely flavour to the gravy.
Ingredients for Bhindi in Peanut Masala: Serves 4-6
- Bhindi/ Okra: 250gms (wash well and dry completely)
- Roasted peanuts (skinned): a big handful
- Tomatoes: 2 diced
- Green chilies: 1-2 nos. (depending on your spice tolerance)
- Garlic: 4-5 cloves
- Ginger: 1/2 ” piece
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder: 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala: 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder: 1-2 tsp (use more if you like it hot)
- Bay leaf: 1 no.
- Cumin seeds/ jeera: 1 tsp
- Oil: 4 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Dry the okra/bhindi and cut into one inch pieces.
- Heat about 3 tsp oil in a kadai and add the bhindi pieces. Stir fry till the bhindi turns a little brown. remove from flame and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, put the tomatoes, peanuts, green chilies, garlic and ginger in a blender and blend to a fine paste (without adding water).
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in the same kadai, add the jeera , turmeric and the bay leaf then add the paste, salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, garam masala and coriander powder and saute till the oil leaves the sides.
- Then add the fried bhindi and mix well. Add about a cup of water and simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Check for salt (and spices), serve with rice and dal or with roti/phulkas.