Cabbage is rich in vitamins C,K B1, B5 , B6 as well as manganese, iron ,phosphorus, calcium and fiber. Research has shown that the antioxidants present in cabbage could reduce the prevent certain types of cancer and also help in lowering cholesterol levels.
For those who don’t have time making two separate dishes-one for protein and another vegetable dish, this recipe makes it easier by combining the vegetable and protein in one dish!
Cabbage and Soya Nuggets Sabzi
Ingredients for Cabbage and Soya chunks sabzi:
- Cabbage: 250gms (finely chopped)
- Soya nuggets/chunks- 100gms
- Onion- 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Tomatoes- 2 medium (finely chopped)
- Garlic-2-3 nos (finely chopped)
- Garlic-1/2 inch (grated)
- Red chili powder- 1tsp (or as per your spice tolerance)
- Coriander powder- 2tsp
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Hing(asafoetida) -a pinch (optional)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves-3-4 (Optional)
- Coriander leaves-4 tbsp (chopped)
- Salt-to taste
- Boil water in a saucepan, add some salt to it. Switch off the heat-add the soya chunks into the boiling water, mix well, cover and let it stand for 10mins. Strain out the soya chunks and squeeze out the water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadai, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds.
- When it starts to pop, add the curry leaves, hing, turmeric powder and then the chopped onions.
- When the onions starts turning translucent, add the garlic and ginger. Fry till the onions brown a bit.
- Add the tomatoes, the red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and salt and cook till the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the soya chunks and mix, then add the chopped cabbage,mix well so that the masala coats the cabbage.
- Reduce flame to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally till the cabbage is cooked.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with roti or as a side with dal and chawal.
You can substitute soya chunks with any pulse (kabuli channa, kala channa, rajma, cannelloni beans, etc) to increase the protein content of the dish.
Cabbage and Soya Chunks Sabzi
Indian Dietitian Online