Category:Indian Dietitian Online,Online Dietician India
Ingredients for Appam (without yeast):
- Raw Rice : 2 cups
- Coconut: 1 cup grated
- Salt to taste
- Baking Soda: 1/2 tsp(traditionally made using toddy or yeast)
- Water as needed for grinding
- Oil for greasing pan
- Wash and soak the rice for 5-6 hours (you can soak it in the morning, then grind it in the evening).
- Grind it in a mixie along with the coconut and water till you get a smooth paste.
- Let it ferment overnight. In the morning add some salt, baking soda and some water and make it into a smooth batter.
- Heat a non stick appam chatti ( or a mini wok) on medium heat. Pour a ladle of batter in the center, then swirl the pan to spread the batter on the sides of the pan (the centre should be a little thicker than the sides)
- Cover and cook for about a minute.
- Uncover, add a little oil along the sides of the chatti/wok.
- Remove the appam (if you want it crisper, cook a little longer till the edges start browning) and serve along with stew (veg/chicken) or chutney or curry (chicken/ goat/ egg).