Paneer Butter Masala (Healthy version)
Love the taste of Butter masala, but dread the loads of butter that goes into it? Fikar not-here is a low-butter version which cuts down the calories of this dish drastically without altering the taste too much (yes-it doesn’t taste like the restaurant version, simply because it’s not dripping with butter).
The trick here is to make the dish with less oil/butter and then add extra butter just before serving.
Paneer Butter Masala (low fat)
Ingredients for Paneer Butter Masala (low-fat): Serves 6
- Paneer: 500gms (cut into cubes),
- Tomatoes: 3 medium (cubed)
- Onion: 1 big (cubed)
- Ginger: 1″
- Garlic: 2-3 (chopped)
- Green chili-1 no. (or as per taste)
- Red chili powder: 1-2 tsp (add more if you want it spicier)
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp,
- Cumin powder: 1tsp
- Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf: 1 no.
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Milk: 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves: 2tbsp (chopped)
- Oil: 2tsp
- Butter: 1-2 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Heat one teaspoon oil in a kadai, add the cubed onions, slit green chili and stir-fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the grated ginger and the chopped garlic and stir fry for a minute, then add the tomatoes and cook stirring occasionally till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Switch off and let it cool. Once cooled, put the contents into a blender and blend till you get a fine puree.
- Heat another teaspoon of oil in the kadai, once hot add the cumin seeds (jeera), bay leaf and turmeric powder.
- Add the puree, and spice powders (red chili, coriander, cumin, garam masala) and cook on medium flame stirring constantly till the oil leaves the sides.
- Lower the flame and pour the milk to the cooked tomato+onion puree stirring constantly till it starts to boil.
- Add the salt and the paneer pieces and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- While serving, mix the butter and then top with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.