Paneer Butter Masala (Low-fat version)
Love the taste of Butter masala, but dread the loads of butter that goes into it? Fikar not-here is a low-butter version which cuts down the calories of this dish drastically without altering the taste too much (yes-it doesn’t taste like the restaurant version, simply because it’s not dripping with butter).
The trick here is to make the dish with less oil (two teaspoon) and then add the butter (a teaspoon) just before serving. What that does is to not just make this a 3 teaspoon of fat dish, but also gives the buttery taste to the dish!
Paneer Butter Masala (low fat)
Ingredients for Paneer Butter Masala (low-fat): Serves 6
- Paneer: 500gms (cut into cubes),
- Tomatoes: 3 medium (cubed)
- Onion: 1 big (cubed)
- Ginger: 1″
- Garlic: 2-3 (chopped)
- Green chili-1 no. (or as per taste)
- Red chili powder: 1-2 tsp (add more if you want it spicier)
- Coriander powder: 1 tbsp,
- Cumin powder: 1tsp
- Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf: 1 no.
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Milk: 1/2 cup
- Wheat flour: 1tbsp
- Coriander leaves: 2tbsp (chopped)
- Oil: 2tsp
- Butter: 1tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Heat one teaspoon oil in a kadai, add the cubed onions, slit green chili and stir-fry till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the grated ginger and the chopped garlic and stir fry for a minute, then add the tomatoes and cook stirring occasionally till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Switch off and let it cool. Once cooled, put the contents into a blender and blend till you get a fine puree.
- Heat another teaspoon of oil in the kadai, once hot add the cumin seeds (jeera), bay leaf and turmeric powder.
- Add the puree, and spice powders (red chili, coriander, cumin, garam masala) and cook on medium flame stirring constantly till the oil leaves the sides.
- At this stage, mix the milk with the wheat flour well.
- Lower the flame and pour this to the cooked tomato+onion puree stirring constantly till it starts to boil.
- Add the salt and the paneer pieces and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- While serving, mix the butter and then top with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.