Moong Dosa or Pesarattu(Savoury Mung Crepes) with Green Peas chutney
A ‘green’ breakfast! This dish is packed with protein and makes a healthy start to your day.
This is an easy version of the pesarattu(as there is no fermenting required).My mom learnt to make this moong dosa from one of our neighbours and as a kid I was not too fond of this ‘green’ dosa,but of course now it’s a totally different story. There are so many things that we hate as kids,but as grown ups we have a totally different take on it.
The peas chutney recipe is from my mother-in-law.I had never heard of(forget tasting) ‘peas chutney’ until she had made it for breakfast one day. I had to call her up to get this recipe and she was just so thrilled about it.
Moong dosa/Pesarattu (Mung Bean Crepes):
Ingredients for Pesarattu:
- Whole Mung: 1 cup (soak in water overnight)
- Green chillies: 1 or 2 nos.
- Ginger:1/2″ piece
- Zeera/Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Salt: to taste
- Grind the soaked mung,green chilly, ginger and salt to a fine paste of pancake/dosa consistency(add about a cup of water while grinding)
- Add the cumin seeds and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick pan,when it’s hot, pour a ladleful of the dosa batter and spread.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the cover, check if the dosa has cooked.Then,flip the dosa and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and serve hot with chutney.
Note:It’s usually served with freshly chopped onions sprinkled on top as a garnish and some upma inside.
Green peas chutney:
Ingredients for Green Peas Chutney:
- Fresh/frozen green peas: 1 cup
- Green chillies: 1/2 or 1 no.
- Salt: to taste
- Mustard seeds:1/2 teaspoon
- Zeera/Cumin seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Sesame seeds:1/2 teaspoon
- Lime juice:1 teaspoon
- Oil:1 teaspoon
- Grind the peas(thaw first if frozen), green chillies and salt to a fine paste. Keep aside in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan,add the mustard,cumin and sesame seeds.When the mustard starts to sputter,remove from flame.
- Pour this tempering on the chutney and mix,then add the lime juice and mix well.
- Serve with dosa’s or as a dip or use as a spread with sandwiches or wraps.