Kadale Manoli (Tendli/Kovakkai with brown channa)
Another favorite Mangalorean recipe is the Manoli Kadle-made with Ivy Gourd(tondekai) called ‘Manoli’ in Tulu (one of the languages spoken in Mangalore) ‘tondli‘ in Marathi, ‘tendli‘ in Konkani ‘tindora‘ in Hindi and ‘kovakkai’ in Tamil. ‘Kadle’ is the brown channa/kala channa (brown garbanzo beans) that is traditionally used but you could substitute it with kabuli channa (chickpeas/garbanzo beans) if you don’t have the brown variety.
Ingredients for Kadale Manoli:(serves 4)
- Brown/kala channa:3/4th cup soaked overnight and pressure cooked till soft (Don’t throw away the extra water after pressure cooking-it is used for making kala channa rasam)
- Tondli-250gms(cut into long strips or thin rings)
- Grated coconut-2 tbsp.
- Red chilly powder-2-3 tsp( or according to your spice tolerance)
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
- Garlic: 2 big/ 4-5 small(peeled and smashed just before adding to tadka/tempering)
- Tamarind paste-1/4tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1tsp
- Urad dal: 1tsp
- Curry leaves-10
- Hing/Asafoetida -a pinch
- Dry red chillies: 1-2(broken into half)
- Salt: to taste
- Oil: 2 tsp
- Heat the oil is a non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds, urad dal and let the mustard pop.
- Add the broken dry chillies, curry leaves and then the smashed garlic. Saute till the garlic gets a slight brown color.
- Add the turmeric, hing and the chopped tondli and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked channa, red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and about 1/2-1 cup water.
- Cover and cook till the tondli is soft,then add the tamarind paste. Mix and let the water evaporate.
- Add the grated coconut and mix.
- Serve the manoli kadle with hot rasam (recipe in my next post) and rice.
1)You can also use the dry dessicated (unsweetened) coconut available at grocery stores. Rehydrate it by adding it to hot water for 5 minutes. Strain and then add.
2) Use extra water when you pressure cook the kala channa-then drain the water and you can make rasam with it.
The manoli kadle, and the kala channa rasam combo goes together and is eaten with rice.
Click here for the Kala Channa Rasam Recipe
Kadale Manoli and kala channa rasam