Mixed dal dosa/ Adai (Mixed lentils and rice crêpe)
Mixed dal Dosa/ Adai
I was craving for some crispy dosas as I hadn’t made them in a long time. But,with the weather no longer conducive for fermenting the batter, I had to think of something which didn’t need fermenting. That’s when my mom suggested the mixed dal dosa-or “Adai” as it’s called in Tamil Nadu. Mom suggested soaking equal quantities of all the dals/split lentils that I had at home along with equal amounts of rice.
Ingredients for Mixed Dal Dosa/Adai: (Serves 4)
- Raw rice: 1/2 cup
- Channa dal: 1/2 cup
- Urad dal(split black matpe beans): 1/2 cup
- Mung dal: 1/2 cup
- Masoor dal(pink lentil): 1/2 cup
- Tur dal
- Cooked rice OR beaten rice(poha): 1/2 cup
- Methi seeds: 2tsp
- Ginger: 1″ piece (optional)
- Dry red chillies: 4-5 (or to taste)
- Salt: to taste
- Water: 1 cup
- Soak all the dals and the raw rice for at least 4-6 hours.
- Grind all the ingredients together with a cup of water till you get a fine paste ( pancake batter consistency). If using beaten rice/poha-soak it for 15 minutes before grinding.
- Pour a ladle of the batter on a hot ‘tawa’ or non-stick pan,and spread into a thin dosa.
- Cover for a minute,then carefully flip it over to cook the other side.
- Serve the mixed dal dosa/ Adai piping hot with chutney and/or sambar.
Mixed Dal Dosa (Adai)
Indian Dietitian Online