Chicken Saagwala /Palak (Spinach) Chicken
Palak chicken or Chicken saagwala is a not just a great tasting dish but the addition of greens(spinach) increases the nutrient content of the dish. Palak is loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals and is also:
- low in calories
- good source of iron, but to be absorbed by the body you need to team it with a source of vitamin C (like squeezing a dash of lime over the dish, or having a citrus fruit after your meal).
Ingredients for Chicken Saagwala: Serves 4
- Chicken: 800 gms (with bones or boneless)
- Palak (spinach): 1 big bunch ( washed, blanched and pureed)
- Onion: 1 big (cubed)
- Tomatoes: 3 medium (cubed)
- Ginger: 1″ (grated)
- Garlic: 3-4nos.(chopped)
- Green chili: 1-2 nos. (use more if you want it spicier)
- Red chili powder: 2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1tbsp
- Cumin powder: 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala: 1 tsp
- Bay leaf: 1 no.
- Pepper corns: 3-4nos.
- Oil: 2tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Heat one teaspoon oil in a kadai ,add the onions and green chillies and stir fry till translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and fry for another minute, then add the tomatoes and stir till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Switch off and cool. Once cooled, puree in a blender.
- Heat another teaspoon of oil in the kadai, add the cumin seeds, bay leaf and pepper corns.
- Add the tomato+onion puree, the spice powders(red chili, coriander, cumin, garam masala) and fry till the raw smell disappears and the oil leaves the sides.
- Add salt and the chicken pieces and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the palak puree, mix well and cover and cook on low flame till the chicken is cooked.
- Serve hot garnished with rice and dal or roti.
Note: If you want it a little creamier, then mix a tablespoon of whole wheat flour(atta) in 1/2 cup milk and add this mixture after you add the palak puree (step 7), mix well and then cover and cook.
Chicken Saagwala /Palak Chicken