Besan Dosa/ Besan Chila (How to make chickpea flour crepes/pancakes)
Besan Dosa/ Besan Chila (Chickpea Flour Crepes)
When I was growing up in Bombay,Besan dosa was a very popular dish in most Udupi restaurants and was even sometimes called “Vegetarian Omelet”. Besan dosa was also sold as a filling inside sandwiches which were named “Veggie omelet sandwich”! Funnily enough,I hated them at that time and preferred my regular ‘egg omelet’ to the veggie omelet. I made Besan Dosa for the first time sometime after Diwali as I had a pack of leftover ‘besan’ that my mom who was visiting,had used to make sinful ‘besan laadus’. I used it for making kadhi a couple of times and was wondering what else I could do with it (pakodas are a strict no-no).That was when my mom mentioned that I could make Besan dosas but also reminded me that I never much cared for them when I was a kid. Finally,one day I tried it out and to my amazement, loved it(thankfully it was appreciated by hubby and little brat) and so now it’s a regular feature at home. Make sure you use a good non-stick pan when you make this-that way,you won’t need to use a lot of oil.
Ingredients for Besan Dosa/Chila (Chickpea flour crepes):Serves 4
- Besan/Gramflour/Chickpea flour: 2 cups
- Rice flour: 2 tbsp (optional)
- Onion:1/2 small(finely chopped)
- Tomatoes:1 small(finely chopped)
- Green chillies:1-2(finely chopped)
- Corriander leaves/Cilantro: 2 tablespoon,finely chopped
- Grated zucchini/ bottlegourd: 1/2 cup (optional)
- Hing/asafoetida: a pinch
- Turmeric powder: 1/4th teaspoon
- Jeera/Cummin seeds:1/2 tsp
- Baking soda: 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Salt:to taste
- Oil/Butter/Ghee: to grease the pan
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Add enough water to make a batter of dosa/pancake consistency. If adding zucchini/bottlegourd, you may need less water as the bottlegourd/zucchini will leave some of its moisture.
- Spread the oil on a non-stick pan on medium flame.
- Pour a ladle of the batter and spread like a dosa. Cover for a 3-4 minutes.
- Then,flip the dosa over to the other side and cook for another 1-2 minutes.Make sure not to burn them.
- Serve the besan dosa hot with mint,ketchup or a spicy chutney.
Indian Dietitian Online